Meet the Governors
- Welcome Message
- Current Governors
- Committees and individual governors responsibilities
- Overall responsibility of the Governing Body
- Governing body meetings
On behalf of the governors of Bartley CE Junior School, welcome to the Governor section of the schools website. We hope you find it easy to use and informative.
The role of a governor is not to manage the school from day to day, that is down to the Headteacher and Senior Management. The role of the Governing Body has three core functions.
- to ensure that the school has a clear vision and strategic plan going forward
- to hold the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school, its pupils and its staff.
- to oversee the financial performance of the school, ensuring we get good value for money and stay within budget.
We also recruit and performance manage the Headteacher, develop,maintain and review the schools policies, ensuring that the school meets its statutory targets. An objective, dispassionate and independent ear is also available to all in the school community.
The Governing Body comprises 16 members, in 5 different categories, 6 if you include the Headteacher.
The categories are (number of each in brackets):
Local Authority (1)
Co opted (8)
Each Governor has their own individual area of responsibility, in which they visit the school regularly to ensure that the school is progressing in that area.
The full Governing Body meet at regular intervals throughout the academic year to discuss the schools overall position. In addition, there are other more specific committees that meet regularly to manage their given areas. These committees and their make up are listed below.
Your schools Governing Body is made up of volunteers from the community who believe that every child is important and should be given the chance to realise their full potential, academic, sporting and social.
A POSSE AD ESSE *
Chair of Governors
* from possibility to actuality
Karen Stonehouse Headteacher
Mark Oakley Co-opted Governor
Nigel Kernan Chair of Finance, Co-opted Governor
Ann Fry Co-opted Governor
Anthony Howard Training Liaison, Co-opted Governor
Iain Wallbridge Training Liaison Governor, Parent Governor
Karen Stonehouse Headteacher
Chris Piper Chair of Governors, Co-opted Governor
Sarah Davey Joint Vice-chair, Safeguarding, Foundation Governor
Annette Osman Joint Vice-chair, Foundation Governor
Rev Graeme Dixon Foundation Governor
Abi Philo Staff Governor
Wendy Thomas Foundation Governor
Josie Teather-Lovejoy Parent Governor
Overall responsibilities of the Governing Body
The Governing Body provides:
- strong links between the school, parents and the community
- a wealth of experience from outside the school
- an indépendent view
- accountability for the Headteacher and school staff
- accountability to the parents and the community for the use of resources and the standards of teaching at the school
- support for the headteacher and staff
- a team providing long term support for development and improvement
Additionally, individual governors will usually be involved in some of the following aspects of the schools activities, and report back to the FGB.
- School improvement plan
- Head teacher performance management
- School profile
- Staff appointments
- The financial management of the school
- Pupil discipline
- The curriculum
- Training of governors
- Community links
Governing bodies are the strategic planners of the school. In order to do this they:
- Have an operational manager (Headteacher) who is responsible for the day to day management of the school
- Agree policies and practice which allows the headteacher the necessary tools to carry out his/her responsibilities
- Agree improvement targets
- Review long term resourcing needs
- Support and challenge the Headteacher
- Review its own working practices and perform self evaluation
Full Governing Body meeting dates and individual governor attendance
Academic year 2016/17
14th March 2017
23rd May 2017
4th July 2017